Mortuary Chapel Of Userhat, Tutor & Scribe
Mortuary Chapels of the Nobles
The Mortuary Chapel of Userhat, a tutor and scribe in the reign of Amenhotep the Second, B.C. 1448.
Userhat is seen seated with his wife and sister on elaborate chairs in Paradise under a fig-tree burdened with fruit, amidst which the wagtails flit.
They are resting their feet on wooden boards and drinking the water of life from golden cups. There are garlands of flowers under the chairs with which they may deck themselves.
Above the two women, their souls flutter in the form of human-headed birds. To them a tree-goddess, who rises out of the lake, which lies before them, offers bread, figs, grapes, a honey-comb, and pours from a vase the water which they are drinking.
Userhat stretches out his hand to take one of the figs. Between him and the goddess, the "T" shaped lake is to be seen at which the souls of Userhat and his wife, in the form of semi-human birds, drink the water from the hollow of their hands.